Desktop environment: CLI
Based on: Arch Linux
The last version | Released: 0.8.1 | October 19, 2016
arkOS – an operating system for securely self-hosting your online life from the comfort of your home. It is a flavour of Arch Linux ARM with a focus on easy self-hosting of a variety of content.
It allows you to easily host your own website, email, “cloud” and more, all within arm’s reach. It does this by interfacing with existing software and allowing the user to easily update and change settings with a graphical interface. No more need to depend on external cloud services, which can be insecure “walled gardens” that require you to give up control over your data.
arkOS has several different components that come together to make a seamless self-hosting experience possible on your embedded device or dedicated server. Each of these components will work with each other out-of-the-box, allowing you to host your websites, email, social networking accounts, cloud services, and many other things from your arkOS node.
– Built for embedded devices – arkOS is primarily an operating system for embedded devices. In fact, arkOS was initially designed for use on the Raspberry Pi, which is a simple single-board computer not much bigger than a credit card. Embedded devices are prized for their relatively low cost (usually less than $100), their availability, and their general-purpose nature. Other embedded devices boast more impressive specifications, enabling you to pay only for the performance you need. Choose the device that works best for you.
– Easy to set up – Download one of our easy installation programs and run it on your home computer. It will guide you through the process of downloading and installing arkOS to whichever type of media your embedded device supports. Setting up a home server couldn’t be simpler.
– Get connected – Plug the installation media into your device, plug the device into your home router, and you’re ready to host your own files, sites and cloud data. arkOS works right out of the box. Connect to the device via your home computer, and finish installing and customizing your arkOS node.
– Easily managed from your browser window – arkOS allows you to stay on top of your online life from an easy-to-navigate web panel. From here, you can easily install new applications, upload files, manage your cloud, update your system and much more. You can monitor the health of your system and get alerts if a problem occurs. arkOS can even back up your information, encrypt and store it offsite in case you need to roll back some changes.
– Open and fully extensible – arkOS is open source, meaning that any developer can take a look inside and tweak it to their liking, or submit improvements for everyone to enjoy. It has an open application architecture, so new functionalities can be easily developed and included in the arkOS App Store. A full REST API allows you to network your servers, remotely control them with your own software… the possibilities are endless.
No download is available.