Last Updated on: 7th December 2020, 11:03 pm
Web site: redwall-firewall.com (not active)
Desktop environment: CLI
Based on: Gentoo
The last version | Released: 2.6.2 | February 2, 2011
redWall – (Redis Firewall) is slim Gentoo Linux based image acting as a firewall agent for managing iptables rules on a single server or whole clusters. The port- or IP-based rules are centrally stored in a Redis database and updates are dynamically applied to all hosts running the RedWall image.
redWall firewall runs from a bootable CD-ROM while the configs are saved on a USB Memory stick, Floppy drive or on the Hard Drive. with support to install the OS on a hard disk.
Reporting on the firewall is based on a MySQL database (except for squid) and so presents the advantage of using the firewall also as a Management console or a logging console so multiple firewalls in the network can report back to the management station or do the logging onto the redWall firewall for better presentation and broader visibility of the whole network security.
redWall features tools such as:
– Stateful Firewall (iptables)
– Proxy using Squid
– Intrusion Detection System (IDS) using Snort
– Mail gateway functionality with Virus scanning and Antivirus support
– Support for Bridging, NAT
– DNS support using dnsmasq
– Traffic shaping
– Network Analyzer using nTop and DarkStat
– Network monitoring and Bandwidth monitoring using Zabbix and Jffnms
– SNMP reporting using Cacti
– Webmin support
– Log analysis using BASE
– Good reporting for Squid and rest of the logs using Sarg Report
– Management/Logging console for multiple firewalls on the network
The first versions of red Wall were based on Alpine Linux and RPM packages.
redWall 2.6.2 i386 986 MB.iso