Last Updated on: 3rd May 2022, 07:52 pm
Web site: ultra.linux.cz (not active)
Origin: Czech Republic
Desktop environment: CLI
Architecture: x86, x86_64
Based on: Red Hat
The last version | Released: 1.1.9 | December 11, 1998
UltraPenguin – a Linux distribution for SPARC and UltraSPARC based workstations, which is based on Red Hat Linux. This distribution is for both 32bit and 64bit SPARC CPUs, the advantage is that this distribution works on 32bit SPARCs (sun4 (hopefully, SILO not yet, install image neither), sun4c, sun4m, sun4d) and on 64bit SPARCs.
It is released under GPL. There are really no guarantees and you cannot make Red Hat Software, Inc. liable for anything, as this is really just based on their work.
Supported Hardware CPU’s:
– Sun4 machines (4/300 only at the moment)
– Sun4c machines (IPC, SS1, etc)
– Sun4m machines (IPX, Classic, SS5, SS10, SS20, …, including SMP boxes; only SS5/170 is not yet supported)
– UltraSPARC SBUS based workstations (Ultra1, Ultra2, Ultra1 Creator, Ultra2 Creator, including SMP configurations)
– UltraSPARC PCI based workstations (Ultra30, UltraAX, Ultra10, Ultra5, Ultra60)
– UltraSPARC SBUS based servers: Enterprise 1, 2, 150, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 10000 (SMP is being worked on)
– UltraSPARC PCI based servers: Enterprise 450 (including SMP)
UltraLinux is a fast 64bit free operating system, which supports up to 1TB of physical and another 1TB of IO memory, fully supports Linux/Sparc 32bit binaries plus will soon support 64bit UltraLinux ELF binaries. It uses the Visual Instruction Set for high bandwidth operations, even older 32-bit applications take advantage of this increased performance if they are dynamically linked. The 64-bit userland for UltraPenguin is half done, developers have initial statically linked ELF 64-bit binaries working. We will announce separately the availability of this so others can experiment with it and help us out, so please be patient.
July 12, 1997 – The UltraLinux team announces UltraPenguin 1.0 which was based on Red Hat Linux, version 4.2 for sparc.
No download is available.