Last Updated on: 6th May 2023, 01:06 pm
Web site: home.gna.org/pingwinek/
Desktop environment: Gnome, Xfce, Enlightenment, Matchbox, EDE, IceWM
Based on: Independent (Linux), Haiku
Media: Live DVD
The last version | Released: 1.0preview4 GNU/Linux | October 14, 2006 | 0.1.0 GNU/Haiku | March 11, 2007
Pingwinek – a Polish project which offers two separated distributions based on Linux kernel and Haiku.
Pingwinek GNU/Linux is an independent distribution which provides a live system with a few desktop environments and window managers of your choice: Gnome, Xfce, Enlightenment, Matchbox, EDE and IceWM.
The live 1.7GB iso image has a large set of pre-installed applications, such as:
– Office: Gnocky, Gnumeric, Grisby, LyX, OpenOffice.org, Rubrica, e-Sofokles
– Net: Blam and Liferea feed readers, Ekiga, GNU Gadu, Gaim, Balsa, Gwget download manager, Kazehakase web browser, LostIRC, Thunderbird, Tleenx2, XChat IRC client, Firefox, gFTP, gSTM
– Multimedia: Siobhan audio player, PenguinTV media aggregator, Audacious, Beep, Camelot, Diva video editor, Exaile, FM radio tuner, Gnome CD master, GnomeBaker, Helix player, Kino, Mplayer, Pitivi, Quark music player, TVtime, Thoggen DVD ropper, Winki the ripper, X-CD-Roast, Zapping TV Viewersteamtuner, vMovieDB, xine
– Graphics: Camorama, Comix, Dia, GNU Paint, Blender, GQview, Inkscape, K-3D, PlotDrop, Sodipodi, Gimp, UFRaw, Xara, gtkam, mtPaint
– Others: Leafpad, Dr.Geo, Galculator, gDesklets, SciTE, XaoS, Anjuta, Bluefish, Geany, Hex Editor, poEdit, gtranslator, Firestarter, etc.
It offers options of the live system to choose:
– English or Polish locales
– the default desktop
– or simply use built in wizard
Pingwinek GNU/Haiku is probably the first Haiku distribution. Beside the base Haiku system, it contains 40 packages ported from Pingwinek GNU/Linux distribution. It contains compiler (GCC 2.95.3), several simple games, SDL, Midnight Commander, ncurses.
The distribution doesn’t have an installer which could install system on a hard disk.
The founder and developer of Pingwinek is Grzegorz Dąbrowski.