Last Updated on: 5th September 2021, 10:15 pm
Web site: baltix.akl.lt
Desktop environment: GNOME, Unity
Architecture: x86, x86_64
Based on: Ubuntu
Media: Live DVD
The last version | Released: 14.04 | June 30, 2014
Baltix – a free computer operating system, based on Ubuntu, and adapted for people from Lithuania, Latvia and other Baltic countries. It supports languages such as: Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian, Russian, English, Polish, Norwegian, German and others from Baltic region.
Baltix GNU/Linux uses the GNOME and Ubuntu Unity desktop environments (some versions have KDE and LXDE too) and is distributed as an installable Live CD/LiveUSB with user-friendly graphical installer. Baltix can run directly from USB storage or LiveCD/DVD, without installation to a computer’s permanent storage.
Baltix is shipped with some pre-installed applications, such as:
– Education: GCompris, TuxPaint, Celestia (space simulator), Atomix and Stellarium
– Parental Control and Content Filtering software GNOME Nanny and Dansguardian
– Empathy – internet telephony (VOIP) software
– Games: Chess, Pingus, Backgammon, SuperTuxKart, PlanetPenguin Racer
– Vector graphic, CAD and diagram drawing software: Inkscape, LibreCAD and Dia
– Wine which lets you run lots of software, compiled for Windows OS
– Clipart, CAD and office documents templates
– Support for all popular archive formats (.zip, .arj, .cab, .rar, .7z, .gz, etc.)
– Support for all popular video/audio codecs: MPEG, XVID, DVD, Theora, DIVX, WebM, WMV, MP3, WMA, Ogg, etc.
– Lots of other packages, which are useful for Lithuanian and other Baltic people, including connections to Lithuanian/Latvian mobile Internet providers (Bitė, Omnitel, Tele2, Mezon) and drivers for popular 3G and 4G (Wimax) modems, OpenDict with Lithuanian-English, German and other dictionaries, various spelling and hyphenation dictionaries, etc.
The project founder and main developer is Mantas Kriaučiūnas.
The latest version of Baltix is 14.04, but a downloadable iso image is 3.1-rc which is based on Ubuntu 7.10.
File: Baltix-14.04-GNOME.png; author: Mantas; under the Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal Public Domain Dedication license.
Baltix 3.1-rc i386 B.iso