Sxolinux (or Scholinox) – a free and open-source Linux distribution designed for students. It consists mostly free software and is based on Ubuntu, with some modifications (remastered) with extra software packages for pupils’ needs, as well as a different graphic theme, icons and logos that fit into “Common” distribution.
There are two different versions of Sxolinux:
– The “regular” Scholiox for Gymnasium students
– School Junior for Primary School Students.
Scholinox and Schoolinix Junior are live DVDs. This means that Scholinox is running “live” system from a DVD disc without having to install it on your hard drive. If you like it and you want to take advantage of all its capabilities, you can install it in a very simple and automated process.
Because of its nature, i.e. the existence of users rights, different software management, free educational applications, and mainly the cooperative development model it points to children, Scholinox is ideal for students as it combines:
– security, virus-free and malware,
– make good use of computer capabilities,
– learning a different knowledge-building model, which does not exist in proprietary operating systems
– zero cost – Sxolinux is free of charge
– dozens of educational applications and books
The project developer is Dimitris Kalamaras.