GalliumOS – a fast and lightweight Linux distro for ChromeOS devices. GalliumOS delivers a complete Linux environment with full hardware support, a carefully tuned kernel, and a full-featured and attractive desktop.
GalliumOS has been optimized for performance and compatibility on Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. The project aims to outperform ChromeOS on the same hardware, while delivering a full Linux environment.
GalliumOS includes optimizations that greatly reduce system stalls and improve overall responsiveness.
– Alternative kernel schedulers to prevent system stalls
— BFS for process scheduling
— BFQ for I/O scheduling
– Removed some services to improve the boot time and reduce memory usage
– Zram for swap, which is a much faster swap than to disk
– Removed unnecessary kernel features/modules
– Compton as the compositor for tear free compositing
— Performs better than enabling Tear Free in the Intel graphics driver with a compositor
GalliumOS 1.0 Beta 1 was released November 11, 2015.
GalliumOS 2.1 was released February 28, 2017.
The last version of GalliumOS 3.1 was released December 22, 2019.