Web site: www.vigyaancd.org
Desktop environment: KDE
Based on: Knoppix
Media: Live CD
The last version | Released: 1.0 | September 7, 2005
Vigyaan – an electronic workbench for bioinformatics, computational biology and computational chemistry. It has been designed to meet the needs of both beginners and experts. VigyaanCD is a live Linux CD containing all the required software to boot the computer with ready to use modeling software. VigyaanCD v1.0 is based on KNOPPIX v3.7.
At present the following ready to use software comes on VigyaanCD: Arka/GP, Artemis, Bioperl, BLAST (NCBI-tools), ClustalW/ClustalX, Cn3D, EMBOSS tools, Garlic, Glimmer, GROMACS, Ghemical, GNU R, Gnuplot, GIMP, ImageMagick, Jmol, MPQC, MUMer, NJPlot, Open Babel, Octave, PSI3, PyMOL, Ramachandran plot viewer, Rasmol, Raster3D, Seaview, TINKER, XDrawChem, Xmgr and Xfig. GNU C/C++/Fortran compilers and additional Linux tools (such as ps2pdf) are also available.
The hardware requirements:
– Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later)
– 20 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode (256 MB recommended to use the various graphical software)
– bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI)
– standard SVGA-compatible graphics card
– serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse
Vigyaan creator is Pratul K. Agarwal.
Vigyaan is the Sanskrit (mother of many Indian languages such as Hindi, Bengali etc.) word for science and knowledge.
Vigyaan 1.0 i386 639MB.iso