Last Updated on: 10th May 2022, 06:37 pm
Web site: www.milax.org (not active)
Desktop environment: JWM
Architecture: x86, sparc64
Based on: OpenSolaris
Media: Live CD
The last version | Released: 0.5 | February 15, 2010
MilaX (formerly: Damn Small Solaris) – a small size Live CD based on OpenSolaris which runs completely off a CD or a USB pendrive.
It was designed to run graphical applications on older PC hardware, netbooks and can be installed on storage media with small capacities, like bootable business cards, USB flash drives, various memory cards, and Zip drives.
MilaX also it is possible to use as Rescue-CD.
It comes with some applications pre-installed, such as:
– text editors: Beaver and Vim
– file managers: Midnight Commander and emelFM
– multimedia player: XMMS
– office: Xpdf PDF document viewer
– system: VNC viewer remote desktop viewer, Rdesktop remote connection manager, fbxkb keyboard indicator and switcher, Torsmo system monitoring utility
– net: AxyFTP FTP client, Irssi IRC client, Midori web browser
The last version of MilaX 0.5 is based on OpenSolaris b128a, and was released February 15, 2010.
Version 0.5 requires at least 256MB RAM and a Pentium or Celeron to boot into a X desktop.
128MB RAM is sufficient for booting into Command-Line mode.
There is not an iso image available any more, only a VirtualBox disk is ready to download.